Member Privileges & Conditions
Want more information about Costco? Visit Costco.com.
We look forward to serving you as a Costco member. Your membership and the privileges and conditions of membership are described below. If you have any questions, please ask our member services personnel at any Costco membership counter, call our toll-free number at 1-800-774-2678, or visit us on the Internet at Costco.com.
- Membership is available to all qualifying individuals 18 years of age and over.
- Costco reserves the right to refuse membership to any applicant and membership is revocable without cause.
- Membership is subject to any and all rules adopted by Costco including our privacy policies and practices, and they may be amended from time to time without notice.
Membership Cards and Fees
- Membership fee is for one twelve (12)-month period from the date of enrollment of the primary cardholder.
- Your card is valid at any Costco warehouse worldwide.
- You will be requested to show your card when entering Costco warehouses and when checking out at the register.
- Your membership card must have a card number and your photo to be valid. If your photo is not on your card, stop by the membership counter to have your photo taken and added to your card.
- If your card is ever lost or stolen, your picture prevents unauthorized use.
- Report lost or stolen cards to any Costco membership counter immediately, or call 1-800-774-2678.
- Memberships may be terminated at Costco's discretion. Cards remain the property of Costco and must be returned upon request.
- Cards are not transferable.
- A free Household Card is available to a primary or add-on cardholder's spouse, domestic partner, or immediate family member over the age of 18 and living at the same address. Household Cardholders will be asked to present proof that they live at the same address as either the primary or add-on cardholder.
- Limit one Executive Membership per household or business.
- You may bring up to two guests in the warehouse each time you shop, though only Costco members may purchase items.
Renewing, Adding or Deleting Cards
- The primary member must authorize renewal or cardholder changes, including additions or deletions, and is responsible for the membership.
- You will receive a renewal notice by mail each year. Renewal fees are due no later than the last day of the month your membership expires. You may remit your renewal fee by mail, online at Costco.com or at any warehouse. American Express Cardmembers or Costco Credit Card holders may charge their membership fees automatically on their American Express or Costco Credit Cards; the card will be charged on the first day of your renewal month. Members who autobill their membership will not receive a renewal notice in the mail.
- Membership renewal must be completed for all cardholders on the membership when the renewal is processed.
- You will not receive new membership cards each year.
- Memberships renewed within 2 months after expiration of the current membership year will be extended for 12 months from the expiration date. Memberships renewed more than 2 months after such expiration will be extended for 12 months from the renewal date.
- Primary Business Members may add up to six additional cardholders (add-ons) to their membership. The add-on membership fee is $55, and includes one free Household Card for a married spouse, common-law spouse, same sex spouse or immediate family member over the age of 18 and living at the same address. To add cardholders to your Business Membership, visit the membership counter at any warehouse or call 1-800-774-2678.
Risk-Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- On Membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.
- On Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, and will refund your purchase price, with the following exceptions:
- Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days from the date of purchase for Televisions and Projectors, Computers, Touchscreen Tablets, Cameras, Camcorders, iPod/MP3 players and Cellular Phones.
- Diamonds: 1.00ct or larger: Members returning a diamond over 1.00ct must also present all original paperwork (IGI and/or GIA certificates) at which time they will receive a Jewelry Credit Memo. Within 48 hours, our Costco Graduate Gemologist will inspect for authenticity.
- Cigarettes and alcohol: Costco does not accept returns on cigarettes or alcohol where prohibited by law.
- Special Order Kiosk and Home Installed Programs.
- Each item is marked with an item number or a UPC Code. The price of the item, along with the description and identifying number, is posted above the item.
- We welcome cash,* checks,* debit/ATM cards,** Costco Cash Cards, Costco Credit Cards**, EBT Cards and American Express Cards.** Checks may require picture identification and approval by a supervisor or manager.
* Not accepted at Costco Gas Stations.
** Not accepted at Costco Food Courts.
- Costco does not accept manufacturers' discount coupons or other retail establishment discount coupons (other than those distributed by Costco).
- Personal checks must be written in the exact amount, issued on the member's checking account, pre-printed with the member's name, address and telephone number and presented by the member. Any exceptions must be pre-approved by the warehouse manager.
- The primary member is responsible for purchases made by any additional cardholders. In the event that either the primary member or additional cardholder has a check returned by the bank, the primary will make good the face amount of the check upon demand, plus a reasonable service charge and other expenses incurred.
- If any legal action is brought by or on behalf of Costco to collect payment on a check, the member writing the check will be liable for reasonable fees and costs of collection.
Sales and Use Taxes, and Resale Certificates
- The member agrees to pay Costco any sales, excise, use or ad valorem tax that is imposed on the sale price of the items purchased. The member agrees that in the event they fail to pay Costco such tax, they will hold Costco harmless and indemnify Costco from any claim, loss, assessment or expense occasioned by such non-payment. In addition, Costco membership will be subject to immediate forfeiture.
- If any merchandise is being purchased for resale, the member shall have a valid resale license number on file with Costco and shall notify the cashier prior to recording the sale on the cash register. Such declaration, and the products purchased thereunder, shall be recorded on a "Certificate for Resale." Sales tax will not be charged at the time of purchase only on those products the member states are specifically for resale; all other products subject to tax will be deemed taxable.
- In the event any product that was purchased for resale (tax free) is subsequently consumed or used in any manner which creates or imposes a sales or use tax, member agrees to report and pay to the proper taxing authority any tax due, including penalties and interest.
- Resale of liquor prohibited except where expressly allowed by state law.
- Shirts and shoes are required.
- Members are welcome to bring their children and up to two guests into the warehouse, however, only Costco members may purchase items.
- Parents are responsible for their children and should not leave them unattended.
- Members are responsible for their guests and other family members.
- Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, etc., upon entering or leaving the warehouse.
- To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased, all receipts and merchandise will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.
- Liquor and tobacco sales cannot be made to minors.
- Costco policy prohibits firearms to be brought into the warehouse, except in the case of authorized law enforcement officers.
- We respect your right to privacy. Our Privacy Statement outlines our policies and practices in detail. Please obtain a copy from our membership counter, or view/ read the privacy statement at Costco.com. ©2012 Costco Wholesale Corporation. All rights reserved.
PRICE CLUB is the registered trademark of Costco